Audrey Austin

Audrey Austin
Proud to be a small town indie author

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Featured Author this week is Debbie Alferio of Amherst, Ohio...



Waiting for Tomorrow

By

Debbie Alferio
 
2008 ForeWord Magazine ‘Book of the Year’ Silver Award Winner
Long and Short Romance Reviews “Best Book”
Honesty is the best policy.  That’s the philosophy Mitch Tarrington has always lived by and the principle upon which he bases his marriage to Dana.  He would never think of telling her a lie—until a situation arises in which he knows the truth might destroy the sacred bond they share.  Even when the guilt of his deception becomes too much to bear, he chooses to continue believing ‘what Dana doesn’t know won’t hurt her.’  He couldn’t be more wrong.

When a chance encounter uncovers his secret and leaves tragedy in its wake, Mitch soon learns that his attempt to save his relationship is the very thing that may end it forever.  Only time will tell; and as he clings to his faith, he finds that sometimes waiting for tomorrow is all you can do.

Enjoy this humorous and heartwarming second novel in the 'Forever Love' series!  A portion of all profits benefit the American Cancer Society.

An Excerpt :


“Hey, blue eyes, remember me?” 

Mitch stood in silence just staring at her.  How on earth could I forget you? he thought.  You danced half-naked not three inches from my face a few months ago!   

“Honey, are you okay?  You look a little pale.”  Gloria pushed out a chair and pointed.  “Maybe you should sit down.” 

Mitch nodded.  “Yeah, thanks.”  He took a seat next to her.  “I guess I’m just a little surprised to see you, that’s all.  Here, I mean.” 

She laughed.  “We ‘entertainers’ do eat, you know.”  She gave him a once over.  “Uh, uh, uh, you sure are a handsome devil.  You were awfully cute the night I first met you; but, sweetie, you clean up real nice.”  She noticed his wedding band and took hold of his hand to inspect it.  “I see you took the plunge.  Congratulations.” 

“Thanks.”  Mitch glanced around the dining room hoping not to see Dana and breathed a sigh of relief when he didn’t.  The last thing he wanted to do was try to explain why he was sitting at a table with a buxom blonde who was holding his hand—and now rubbing the top of it with her thumb. 

“So you work here, huh?” 

“Well, actually, I own the place.”  He pointed to the plaque on the wall directly behind him.  “I bought it shortly before I got married.” 

Gloria smiled.  “Wow!  I’m impressed.  This is the first time I’ve actually been in here myself, but I heard the buzz around town and thought I’d check it out.”  She let go of his hand and gave his arm a gentle squeeze.  “I’m really glad I did.   It’s nice to see you again.” 

Just then the door opened, and Mitch turned to see Gloria’s friend Kandy.  This is just great, he thought.  Just when I thought I could escape unscathed, the other half of the tag team shows up. 

“Hey, Kandy, look who I found!  Remember our shy little bachelor Mitch?” 

“How could I forget?”  Kandy placed a hand on his shoulder and gave it a little rub.

“Would you like to join us for lunch?” 

Mitch did another scan for Dana and again breathed a sigh of relief when he didn’t spot her anywhere.  He took Kandy’s invitation as his cue to move on.  He stood up, pushed in his chair, and cleared his throat nervously.  “Thanks, but I have to get back to work.  Only an hour or so before I’ll be heading out, and I still have tons to do.” 

Gloria glanced at the clock on the wall just above Mitch’s head.  “I noticed that you open at eleven, and you get to leave at three?  You must bring in the dough to get to keep those kinds of hours.” 

Mitch couldn’t help his smile. “I do all right, I guess, but this isn’t my only job.  I’m also a musician.” 

The two women looked at each other, and their faces lit up.  “A musician?  No kidding!”  Kandy exclaimed.  “Your girl got a rare find in you, sweetheart.  What do you play?  Are you, like, in a band or something?” 

Mitch’s pride began to show in the way it always did when he talked about the band.  “Yeah, I’m the front man for Ace.  We’re the headliners down at Studio 14 on Saturday nights.  I’m lead guitar and vocals primarily. I can play keyboards and drums, too, although I usually don’t.”  He suddenly realized he was starting to babble, so he decided to try once more to make his escape.  “Well, it was good to see both of you.  Enjoy your lunch.”  He started to move away when he felt someone grab hold of his arm. 

“Whoa, not so fast there.  Can’t a girl give you a little hug goodbye?”  Mitch must have blushed because Gloria giggled.  “Now, come on, Mitch.  Don’t be shy.  We do ‘know’ each other after all!”  Gloria stood up and gave Mitch a tight squeeze.   

Mitch pulled away as quickly as he could without appearing rude and said goodbye once more.  Instead of turning to talk to the customers at the next table, he made a beeline for the office.


 

 





Debbie Alferio is an award-winning inspirational romance author and speaker whose Forever Love series was inspired by an actual dream.   She has appeared in local television, radio, and newspaper interviews, and is listed in two Who’s Who directories.  Debbie is the Ohio Representative for Authors Across America and a member of the International Writer’s Association, American Author’s Association, Ohio Professional Writers, Writer’s Ink, and the Sauna Friends Writer’s Group.  She donates a portion of her profits to the American Cancer Society.

 

When she’s not writing, Debbie enjoys spending time with her family, walking, reading, and being outdoors.  A true animal lover, she shares her home with five cats, two dogs, and a little white mouse named Henrietta.  Visit the author’s website at www.freewebs.com/debsbooks and follow her blog at www.debbiealferio.blogspot.com.
Debbie Alferio can also be found on Facebook.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment